What is Phosphoric acid?
Phosphoric acid or orthophosphoric acid, is a common inorganic acid, is a medium-strong acid.Phosphoric acid is mainly used in pharmaceutical, food, fertilizer and other industries, including as a rust resistance agent, food additives, dental and orthopedic surgery, EDIC preservatives, electrolytes, welding flux, dispersants, industrial preservatives, fertilizer as raw materials and component home cleaning products.Can be also used as a chemical reagent.
What is Phosphoric acid used for? The dominant use of phosphoric acid is for fertilizers, consuming approximately 90% of production.
Food-grade phosphoric acid (additive E338) is used to acidify foods and beverages such as various colas and jams, providing a tangy or sour taste. The phosphoric acid also serves as a preservative. Soft drinks containing phosphoric acid, which would include Coca-Cola, are sometimes called phosphate sodas or phosphates. Phosphoric acid in soft drinks has the potential to cause dental erosion.Phosphoric acid also has the potential to contribute to the formation of kidney stones, especially in those who have had kidney stones previously.
Specific applications of phosphoric acid include:
- in anti-rust treatment by phosphate conversion coating or passivation
- to prevent iron oxidation by means of the Parkerization process
- as an external standard for phosphorus-31 nuclear magnetic resonance
- in phosphoric acid fuel cells
- in activated carbon production
- in compound semiconductor processing, to etch Indium gallium arsenide selectively with respect to indium phosphide
- in microfabrication to etch silicon nitride selectively with respect to silicon dioxide
- as a pH adjuster in cosmetics and skin-care products
- as a sanitizing agent in the dairy, food, and brewing industries
Is Phosphoric acid safe to consumer? Phosphoric acid is safe to consume unless Phosphoric acid contact the eye and skin.
Inhalation: Not expected to be an inhalation hazard unless heated or misted. Can irritate the nose and throat.
Skin Contact: CORROSIVE. Contact can cause pain, redness, burns, and blistering. Permanent scarring can result. A severe exposure can cause death.
Eye Contact: CORROSIVE. Contact causes severe burns with redness, swelling, pain and blurred vision. Permanent damage including blindness can result.
Ingestion: Can burn the lips, tongue, throat and stomach. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Permanent damage can result.
Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: At low concentrations: Can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis) following skin contact.
original source: https://www.linphos.com/news/is-phosphoric-acid-safe-to-consumer